An elderly Laurel man died late Tuesday from burns he suffered early Mother’s Day morning after he fell asleep in a chair with a lit cigarette and his clothing caught fire, Southold Town police reported.
Shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday, Kenneth Denston, 86, of Peconic Bay Boulevard was found by his 89-year-old wife, Nora, who had been asleep on the couch and was awakened by her husband’s screams, police said. Ms. Denston threw water on him, wrapped him in a towel and removed what was left of his clothing, officials said.
Mr. Denston was taken from his home by Mattituck and Cutchogue firefighters and then airlifted to Stony Brook University Medical Center for treatment, police said. Ms. Denston and Mattituck Fire Department Chief Samuel Bail were taken to Eastern Long Island Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, police said.
Damage to the house was minimal, fire officials said.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete at presstime.