• Southold Town Senior Services and Eastern Long Island Hospital, in conjunction with The Mental Health Association in Suffolk County, will present a discussion on Anger Management as part of its ongoing education series on Friday, Aug. 5, from 11 a.m. to noon. The session will be at Southold Town Senior Services at 750 Pacific St., Mattituck. Call 298-4460.
• Mattituck-Laurel Library will host Dr. Barbara Prestano of Peconic ENT, who will conduct free hearing tests on Friday, Aug. 5, 1-3 p.m. Call 298-4134.
• Cornell Cooperative Extension is hosting a seminar as part of its Healthy Living Series on The Best and Worst of Eating Out on Wednesday, Aug. 3, 6-7 p.m. at its offices at 423 Griffing Ave., Suite 100, Riverhead. Call 727-7850, ext. 333.
Cornell Cooperative will also host a program on Food Allergies Training on Friday, Aug. 5, 9 a.m. to noon. The program is ideal for professionals who work with children. There’s a $20 registration fee. Call 727-7850, ext. 355.
• Beatles fans can bid on an opportunity to meet Sir Paul McCartney, which is part of a prize package on auction at Eastern Long Island Hospital’s Gala to be held at McCall Vineyard on Saturday, Aug. 13. Sir Paul will appear at the New York City Ballet’s Fall Gala at Lincoln Center on Sept. 22 a to debut his orchestral score for “Ocean’s Kingdom,” a Romeo and Juliet love story. Bidding starts at $5,000 for two tickets to the event, including door-to-door limousine service, a black tie reception and celebratory dinner with VIP premium seating with the program’s stars. Proceeds from the gala will benefit the ELIH emergency care unit. Call 477-5164.
• Sally King has been named employee of the month for June at San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. Ms. King has always wanted to care for the elderly, according to San Simeon spokesman Geoffrey Proud.
“I care for them just like they are my own grandparents,” she said. The native Greenporter has missed her shift only three times in her eight years at San Simeon — and that was because of her own illness. As a memorial to her young son, she contributes a scholarship each year to a graduating Greenport High School senior.
Lori Roughton of Mattituck is San Simeon’s employee of the month for July, an honor she is receiving for the second time. Ms. Roughton is San Simeon’s 3 to 11 p.m. supervisor and has worked there for 16 years. She is pursuing a master’s degree in nursing at Stony Brook University and after completing her studies next year, will take the state board exam for a nurse practitioner’s license and plans to specilize in adult/geriatric care.
To send Health Beat news, e-mail [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Friday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.