• If arrested, the thief who took $1,500 cash from a Cutchogue apartment would face a federal larceny charge in addition to a residential burglary charge, police said.
The theft occurred between June 4 and 7, according to police. The victim stated he wasn’t sure if his apartment had been locked, but the padlock on his bedroom had been broken off. The landlord said she entered the apartment on June 6 at 10:30 a.m. to check on the resident, who she said she hadn’t seen in a few days, but denied taking the money.
• A Southold man reported the theft of three plastic gas cans, valued at $60, from outside his residence between June 3 and 4, according to police. Police said the gas cans were taken from the man’s pickup parked outside the residence.
• A Peconic woman reported the theft of a “no trespassing” sign from her residence on May 28, police said. She stated that a path had been cleared on her property down to the creek, which had led to her putting up the sign, according to police.
• A Southold teenager reported that his black Giant mountain bike, valued at $650, had been stolen from Southold High School grounds between May 15 and June 2.
• A Saint James woman reported the theft of a $50 red backpack containing her Blackberry phone from her bicycle between 9:57 and 10:07 p.m. while she was riding the Shelter Island Ferry on Sunday, June 10.