Cops: Queens man suffers burned hand in Mattituck kitchen fire

08/19/2012 11:49 PM |

A Queens man was injured in a Mattituck kitchen fire Saturday night, Southold Town Police said.

Dimitrios Liapis, 32, was injured attempting to extinguish the accidental fire by removing burning grease from the stove in his grandfather’s home on Linda Road in Mattituck, police said. In attempting to do so, Mr. Liapis burned his hand. He was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center in Riverhead for treatment of his injury.

The home sustained minor damage in the blaze, which was contained to the kitchen, police said.