Couch fire in Cutchogue home quickly snuffed out

06/16/2014 5:35 PM |
Cutchogue firefighters  swarm the scene at Monday's couch fire. No one was seriously hurt in the incident. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Cutchogue firefighters swarm the scene at Monday’s couch fire. No one was seriously hurt in the incident. (Credit: Paul Squire)

An errant match caused a couch in a Cutchogue home to go up in flames Monday afternoon, said a witness who was in the house at the time of the fire.

The fire sparked at around 3:40 p.m., forcing a small group of people to rush outside the house and escape the smoke, witnesses said.

Two men stayed behind and put out the fire and were later treated for smoke inhalation, Cutchogue fire officials said.

A man at the scene, who didn’t give his name, told a reporter he was inside at the time of the fire and said someone had been “playing with matches” unsupervised when the fire started.

The man said he grabbed the flaming cushions, took them outside and ran back into the house and helped douse the couch with water.

Cutchogue firefighters then arrived on the scene and quickly extinguished the fire.

Fire officials said no one was seriously hurt.

[email protected]

Comments

comments