Tomorrow brings the end of yet another month. It seems like only yesterday I was talking about the beginning of another school year and we’re already two months into it. Time sure does pass quickly.
The East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation will screen a film about Otto Schoenstein, the philanthropic Greenport craftsman who served as grand marshal for this year’s Maritime Festival, at 5 p.m. Friday, Nov. 7, at Floyd Memorial Library. Admission is free and the film will be followed by a Q&A with Otto and filmmakers Marla Milne and Tony Bettler, also of Greenport. Beverages and snacks will be served.
• The pastor and members of St. Peter’s Lutheran Church offer their sincere gratitude to the community for supporting their annual Harvest Festival. The event’s success is due to the generosity of those who made donations and those who attended.
• San Simeon by the Sound is planning a trip to Foxwoods and/or Mohegan Sun for Monday, Nov. 17. The ferry leaves at 10 a.m. and the cost is $30 per person. Reservations are a must. To make yours, call San Simeon at 477-2110 or Paula Thorp at 477-2392.
• Holy Trinity Church will hold its annual harvest dinner fundraiser this Saturday, Nov. 1, at 6 p.m. The cost is $30 per person. The fare will feature “American comfort food”: roast turkey, London broil, roast loin of pork and local vegetables, served buffet-style and accompanied by wine, homemade desserts, coffee and tea. Call Rich at 477-0855 for tickets, group seating and takeout. Send checks to Holy Trinity Dinner, P.O. Box 502, Greenport, NY 11944. Limited tickets will be available at the door.
• Greenport’s American Legion Burton Potter Post has a couple of events planned for Veterans Day, Tuesday, Nov. 11. At 11 a.m., post members will dedicate the skating rink to the memory and honor of George Costello Sr. The event will take place in front of the rink and move indoors if it rains.
The legion hall will also host a benefit Veterans Day dinner Nov. 10 and 11 at Skipper’s Restaurant, from noon to 9 p.m. both days. Tickets are $20 per person. Contact any legion member for tickets or get them at the door.
• Who among us will celebrate a birthday in the near future? Here they are: Adele Cassone, Oct. 30; David Urban, Oct. 31; Vicky Chute and Taj McKenzie, Nov. 1; Sally Corwin, “Sooty” Jimenez and Sean McElroy, Nov. 2; Brian Lehmann, Sue Tyler and Chris Doucett Sr., Nov. 3; Chris North, Nov. 6; Sue Raynor, Barbara Richter, Sean Furman and Suzanne Pacholk, Nov. 7; my uncle Jack Heaney, Tara Detrick and Chris Quillin, Nov. 8; Tanya Gates, Nov. 9; my cousin Greg Wallace, Billy Robins, Jenna Finne and Ron Rock, Nov. 10; Charlie Corwin and Margaret Hurley, Nov. 11; and Jessica Middleton, Nov. 12.
• Dancing once again to “The Anniversary Waltz” are Cheryl and Ron Rock, married 23 years on Nov. 2; Regina and George Cartselos, 13 years on Nov. 5; Sally and Ray Corwin, 39 years on Nov. 5; and my aunt and uncle Maria and Bernie Heaney on Nov. 11.