Southold School District officials are re-evaluating the annual sophomore trip to Europe in light of recent terrorist attacks. For the past 12 years, Southold High School tenth graders have visited several European cities.
Last year, students traveled to London, Paris, Lucerne, and Athens, among other places, according to a presentation.
School board member and Southold Town police officer Scott Latham said he hopes parents either reconsider allowing their children to attend the trip or have their children register with the U.S. Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, known as STEP, if they do decide to go on.
Twelve people were killed Jan. 7 when the Paris newsroom Charlie Hebdo was attacked Jan. 7 in an alleged response to a satirical cartoon mocking the Islamic prophet Muhammad.
“I’m not the one to say you can’t go,” Mr. Latham explained, “but I’d also be remiss in my position to not at least suggest to parents that they really think about this.
“I wouldn’t send my children right now.”
Superintendent David Gamberg said the district is looking at its options and will keep parents and students informed.
“We’re very aware that the situation is volatile at the moment,” he said. “It does change. I don’t know in a month from now where things are going to stand.”
Another option the school board discussed was to delay the trip until the following school year. No action was taken Wednesday and school officials are expected to continue discussions about this year’s trip.