Featured Story

Update: Caci to reopen Sunday following kitchen fire

07/23/2016 5:17 PM |

9T5B7781

A kitchen fire that broke out Saturday afternoon temporarily closed the Southold Italian restaurant Caci North Fork.

The fire began before 4 p.m. after grease and soot in a hood over the kitchen stove caught fire, according to a chef at the restaurant. The natural gas fueling the stoves was immediately cut and kitchen staff evacuated.

Southold, Cutchogue and Greenport firefighters were all called to the scene, and put out the fire, said assistant fire chief Peggy Killian.  According to Southold police at the scene, no one was injured in the fire.

Southold police closed Main Road in both directions as firefighters dealt with the fire and drank water to stay hydrated in the oppressive summer heat.

In the outdoor seating area behind the restaurant, staff and head chef Marco Pellegrini waited as firefighters cleaned up the scene. Mr. Pellegrini joked that something always seems to go wrong on Saturdays, the restaurant’s busiest day.

“If the dishwasher is broke, it’s a Saturday,” he said. “If the oven’s broke, it’s a Saturday.”

Mr. Pellegrini said the kitchen wasn’t badly damaged. While the restaurant remained closed Saturday night, it is expected to reopen at 5 p.m. Sunday.

Photo caption: Firefighters move fire hoses at the scene of a fire in the Caci North Fork kitchen in Southold Saturday afternoon. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Comments

comments