David Gamberg, the superintendent at Southold and Greenport school districts, issued a statement Saturday morning denying reports of a possible threat directed toward Southold schools following a media report published Friday night by Patch.com.
Mr. Gamberg called the report erroneous and wrote that “there was never any threat directed at the Southold learning community.”
“The police investigated the matter and at no time was there any reason to regard the safety of anyone in our school community to be in jeopardy,” Mr. Gamberg wrote. “The safety and well being of all who attend, work, and visit our schools is always our first and most important concern.”
On Thursday afternoon, officials at Southold High School reported to police a disturbing social media post, according to Police Chief Martin Flatley. The threat was not directed at the school itself, students or staff, but was “threatening in nature,” he said in an email.
The department’s juvenile officers investigated the incident, interviewed the student and the student’s parents and determined that there was no threat, Mr. Flatley said. The case was classified as non-criminal, he said.
Tensions were heightened Friday across the nation after 10 people were killed at a Texas high school, many of them students, just three months after the tragedy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. So far in 2018, there have been 16 school shootings, according to a database compiled by the Washington Post, which counts only incidents that occurred “on campuses immediately before, during or just after classes.”