Featured Story
01/02/18 11:48am
01/02/2018 11:48 AM

On a bitter cold evening, a couple was enjoying the warmth of their fireplace at their Harvest Lane home on the first night of the new year when the alarm company called; the smoke detector in the basement was going off. Matthew Simone told them everything was fine at first, but when he opened the door to the basement he found smoke, his partner, Pamela Watson recalled.  READ

03/21/15 12:00pm
03/21/2015 12:00 PM
Firefighters battling the blaze in Southold March 15. (Credit: Grant Parpan)

Firefighters battling the blaze in Southold March 15. (Credit: Grant Parpan)

This year alone, three homes have been destroyed by fire, a dozen people displaced and devastated. Now, this week, one of our town’s historic steepled gems, First Universalist Church of Southold, has been lost forever and yet another unfortunate fire victim — in this case, members of an entire congregation — are left with only charred timbers and ashes.  (more…)