Walking in Sacred Heart Cemetery in Cutchogue, it takes only a few minutes to find the section where Ellen Haggerty was buried. It is near the front of the cemetery, behind the life-sized statue of Jesus hanging on the cross.
Her stone states, simply: Ellen H. Wife of Daniel Haggerty. Died Jan. 7, 1901 Age 82 years. READ
The Jamesport Meeting House, as magnificent a building as stands anywhere on eastern Long Island, was built in 1731 by virtually all the pioneer settlers of what was then the western half of Southold Town. READ
On a cold day in January 1980, at a public hearing in Riverhead to discuss the future of the Peconic Bay estuary and the proposed preservation of Robins Island, a tall, white-haired man with a patrician air about him walked to the podium. READ
As the hot August night wore on in the attic of the old house, she decided she couldn’t take it anymore. It was growing more stifling by the minute and in the claustrophobic space made of rough boards, the squeaking sound of scurrying mice came from somewhere in the dark corners and moved across the floor. READ
They were here, nearly from the founding of Southold Town in the mid-17th century. Their presence has not been widely discussed or been part of the conversation in either Southold or Riverhead towns, where the stories of the founding English families have dominated the narrative for generations as if theirs were the only stories worth telling. READ
This is an imaginary conversation with a member of a ‘first’ family whose roots in Southold Town — which originally included present-day Riverhead — date back to the town’s founding in 1640. The history reflected in the answers comes from Southold and Shelter Island town archives, records and other sources. READ