The public vote on whether to close the New Suffolk School, which was scheduled for Tuesday, has been canceled.
In a special meeting Friday night, the New Suffolk Board of Education voted unanimously to cancel the vote that would have asked residents to decide whether students in grades pre-K through 6 should be sent to Southold School District for the 2018-19 school year. Students in grades 7 through 12 are already sent to Southold. READ
The New Suffolk Board of Education is hoping to cancel next Tuesday’s public vote on tuitioning elementary students to another school.
Board president Tony Dill said at Tuesday night’s meeting that he and teacher Martha Kennelly recently signed an agreement that would allow the historic red schoolhouse to remain open for the 2018-19 school year. READ
The New Suffolk Common School may be able to educate students in the red schoolhouse next year after all.
The suit filed in federal court by Martha Kennelly against the New Suffolk School District following its decision to abolish her position in June 2015 was dismissed by a judge last Wednesday. READ
After months of deliberating, the New Suffolk Board of Education voted unanimously Wednesday to stop educating pre-kindergarten through sixth grade students in the New Suffolk schoolhouse and instead pay to send all it students to other local school districts come September 2018.
Residents of the New Suffolk Common School District are expected to learn the school system’s fate at a special Board of Education meeting Jan. 31. (more…)
Former New Suffolk School teacher Martha Kennelly, who has spent two years fighting with the district that refused to reinstate her when a special assignment ended, appears to have won her case that would force the district to reinstate her and pay back wages and benefits from June 30, 2015, according to the decision written by State Commissioner of Education Mary Ellen Elia.
The New Suffolk Board of Education is looking to appoint someone to fill the vacancy left on the board after Jason Cooper died last month.
President Tony Dill said the school board is in the process of compiling a list of interested individuals, who they will then interview for the position. They hope to appoint someone near the start of the upcoming school year.
A tenured teacher who was employed for two decades by the New Suffolk Common School District until her position was cut last year, filed a federal lawsuit against district officials Monday claiming age discrimination.
It’s about that time of year when people can expect to see tax rebate checks in their mailboxes as part of the state’s program. For most residents on the North Fork, those checks are coming. READ