* Thomas McGwire, CEO of Topeka Realty Co. in Peconic, has been named to the Eastern Long Island Hospital Foundation Board of Directors. He has lived in Peconic for 23 years and was secretary of the North Fork Country Club and involved in United Way, the Society of Plastics Industry and the Society of Plastics Engineers. Prior to his work at Topeka, he spent 34 years involved with manufacturing heaters for the oil and plastics industries and was CEO of Industrial Heater Co.
* Anne Fining of Ridge has been appointed director of nursing at San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. Ms. Fining joined the San Simeon staff as assistant director of nursing in 2009 after many years of experience in caring for the elderly in nursing facilities in Suffolk County, including Catholic Health Services in Setauket. She will be coordinating a staff of more than 100 registered and licensed practical nurses and certified nurse assistants who serve the San Simeon community 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Ms. Fining earned her registered nurse degree at Suffolk County Community College after starting her health care career as a CNA.
“It is a pleasure to work with both the staff and our residents,” Ms. Fining said.
* Registered nurse Nancy Gray will present a program on options in complimentary and alternative medicine to promote health and well being at the Southold Human Resources Center in Mattituck from 11 a.m. to noon Friday, July 2. The program is a part of an ongoing series sponsored by Southold Town, Eastern Long Island Hospital and The Mental Health Association of Suffolk County.
* Cornell Cooperative Extension is hosting a workshop at its Riverhead headquarters on secrets of successful weight loss. The session is slated from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, June 28, at a cost of $8. Participants will learn about the latest research about people losing weight and being able to keep it off. Call Laurie Wells at 727-7850, ext. 340, to register.
* Dr. Barbara Prestano from Peconic ENT will conduct free hearing tests at Mattituck-Laurel Library from 1 to 3 p.m. Thursday, July 1.
A five-session series of cardio combo exercise classes, including kickboxing and kenpo with weights, will take place on Fridays, beginning July 2 and running through July 30 from 5 to 6 p.m. There’s a $25 fee for the series. Bring a mat, towel and water. Light weights are optional.
The library will also host a new chair aerobics series beginning Wednesday, June 30, from 9 to 10 a.m. Bring three- to seven-pound dumbbells and water. The cost for the six-week program is $30. Call 298-4134.
* A series of yoga sessions with Rosemary will take place at Cutchogue-New Suffolk Library from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, beginning July 1 and running through Sept. 9, with no class on Aug. 5. There’s a $60 charge for the 10-week session. Call 734-6360.