Southold Police Report

Photo courtesy of Cutchogue Fire Department
Braun’s building catches fire
About 50 firefighters responded to a smoldering fire at the Braun Oyster Company building in Cutchogue Saturday night, according to Cut?chogue Fire Department. The fire, isolated in an interior wall, was reported shortly after 8 p.m. and was quickly extinguished. Braun’s was open for business at its normal time Sunday. In an e-mailed press advisory, Cutchogue Fire Chief Andrew McCaffery said Saturday there were no injuries or significant damage and the fire was not considered suspicious.

Two men were arrested Friday afternoon for breaking in to the abandoned oyster factory on Shipyard Lane in East Marion, where Southold police said they were searching for scrap metal. Joshua Haggerty, 28, of Mattituck and John Meyer, 31, of Center Moriches were both charged with possession of burglar’s tools. Police said the two men “were still in the process of cutting metal with their power tools” when they were caught at about 4:30 p.m. Friday. The two men entered the property via boat, police said.

* Paul Faraguna, 49, of Berkeley Heights, N.J., was charged with driving while intoxicated and failing to maintain his lane on Sunday at 12:08 a.m., after police observed him driving a 2003 Honda Civic south on New Suffolk Road and leaving the roadway, driving over a curb and grass, police said.

* Ronald Edwards, 53, of East Hampton was charged with DWI last Thursday at 8:06 p.m., after police stopped him for a traffic violation as he drove a 1996 Ford pickup truck west on Route 25 in Greenport, police said. His vehicle was seized due to a prior DWI conviction, police said.

* A 33-year-old Laurel woman reported to police on Sunday that someone took her wallet, which she accidentally left in a shopping cart at the Mattituck Waldbaum’s that morning, sometime between 8 and 9 a.m, police said. The large green wallet contained $700 in cash, her driver’s license, credit cards and other checks and money orders, police said.

* Jodie Corwin, 32, of Greenport and her 5-year-old passenger were transported to Eastern Long Island Hospital for treatment of minor injuries after Ms. Corwin failed to yield to an officer who was responding to an emergency call, with his patrol car’s lights and sirens on, heading south on Main Street in the village, police said. Ms. Corwin was driving a 1994 Honda west on Bay Avenue when the collision occurred, police said. Members of the Greenport Fire Department responded to the scene, police said.

Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.

(function(){ var s = document.createElement('script'), e = ! document.body ? document.querySelector('head') : document.body; s.src = 'https://acsbapp.com/apps/app/dist/js/app.js'; s.async = true; s.onload = function(){ acsbJS.init({ statementLink : '', footerHtml : 'Web Accessibility Solution by The Suffolk Times', hideMobile : false, hideTrigger : false, language : 'en', position : 'left', leadColor : '#146ff8', triggerColor : '#146ff8', triggerRadius : '50%', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerIcon : 'people', triggerSize : 'medium', triggerOffsetX : 20, triggerOffsetY : 20, mobile : { triggerSize : 'small', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerOffsetX : 10, triggerOffsetY : 10, triggerRadius : '50%' } }); }; e.appendChild(s);}());