Health Beat: Sept. 30, 2010
* A geriatric interdisciplinary core conference on Seniors at Risk — What Professionals Need to Know, will be held at Martha Clara Vineyard on Thursday, Oct. 7, 8:30 a.m.-noon. The program is sponsored by Eastern Long Island Hospital Extension of the Long Island Geriatric Education Center. Call Leslie Sinnott at 477-5124.
* The ongoing educational series at the Southold Town Senior Services Center in Mattituck will feature a discussion of coping with griefand loss on Friday, Oct. 1, from 11 a.m. to noon. The program is sponsored by the town and Eastern Long Island Hospital in conjunction with the Mental Health Association in Suffolk County. Call 298-4460.
* The Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation’s Eastern Long Island Take Steps Walk will be held at Suffolk County Community College’s Riverhead campus Saturday, Oct. 2, at 3 p.m. Call 1-516-222-5530.
* Curves in Cutchogue will sponsor a breast cancer awareness fundraiser, including a chinese auction, door prizes, raffles, giveaways and vendors, on Saturday, Oct. 16, 1-3 p.m. Representatives from The North Fork Breast Health Coalition will provide information on getting help and proper health care in fighting the disease. To contribute items for the auction (by Oct. 9) call Donna at 734-7066.
* Audiologist Dr. Barbara Prestano of Peconic ENT will conduct free hearing tests at Mattituck-Laurel Library on Thursday, Oct. 7, 1-3 p.m.
The library will offer an eight-week program of t’ai chi practice sessions on Tuesdays, 8-10 a.m., beginning Oct. 5 and continuing through Nov. 23. Fee: $25, payable at the initial session.
A five-week cardio combo program will be held Fridays, 5-6 p.m., beginning Oct. 8. The program will include kickboxing and kenpo with weights. Bring a mat, towel and water. Light weights are optional. The $25 fee is payable at the first session.
* Floyd Memorial Library in Greenport will host pilates classes with Ellen Goldstein on three successive Sundays, Oct. 3, 10 and 17. The series fee is $60, payable at the first class. Call 477-0660.
* Cutchogue-New Suffolk Library will offer pilates classes with Michelle on Mondays, 6-8 p.m., Oct. 13-Dec. 13 (no classes Oct. 11 and Nov. 15 and 22). Fee: $60, payable at first session.
* Dr. Hannah Ortiz, a board-certified gynecologic oncologist, will speak today, Thursday, Sept. 30, from 6 to 8 p.m. at a free women’s health seminar, commemorating Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month, at the East End Hotel Indigo in Riverhead. The program is being presented by the East End Health Alliance, which includes Eastern Long Island Hospital, Peconic Bay Medical Center and Southampton Hospital. Call 477-5184.