• San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing, Rehabilitation and Adult Day Health Care in Greenport will offer a free public education seminar on Spirituality and End-of-Life Care on Tuesday, April 19, at 5:30 p.m. The seminar, hosted in conjunction with East End Hospice, includes a film created by the Hospice Foundation of America. Call 477-2110.
• Free individual health insurance counseling will be offered for Medicare-eligible people by a representative from the Suffolk County Office for the Aging at Mattituck-Laurel Library Tuesday, April 19, 1:30-3 p.m. Call 298-4134.
Pilates classes begin at the library Wednesday, April 20, 6:30-7:30 p.m. and continue for six weeks. Bring a mat and water. The fee is $45 for Mattituck-Laurel residents, $50 for others.
• Learn How to Channel Energy in a workshop with Patricia Payne at Temple Yoga Center in Greenport on Saturday, April 16, at 3 p.m. The $50 fee includes a workbook. Call 766-3586.
• Suffolk County’s Department of Health Services Learn to Be Tobacco Free program will be offered at Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport, beginning Monday, April 18. The program will meet from 6 to 7 p.m. in the hospital conference room for six successive Mondays through May 23, with a reunion class slated for Monday, June 13. Call 477-5121.
• Ken Birmingham, facilities supervisor in Peconic Landing’s environmental services department, is employee of the month for April. He is a team player who consistently performs above and beyond what’s expected to achieve positive outcomes, according to department director Darryl Volinski. Mr. Birmingham is a problem solver and goes the extra mile for safety and security of residents, Mr. Volinski said. He’s friendly and can be counted on to help whatever the situation, receiving praise from both residents and his fellow staff members.
To send Health Beat news, e-mail [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Friday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.