• Eastern Long Island Hospital will hold its spring blood drive in the conference room on Thursday, May 5, 8 a.m.-5:15 p.m. Call 477-5100.
The hospital will kick off a Month of HealthCARE Friday, May 6, with a salute to its nurses, followed by National Hospital Week from Monday, May 9, through Sunday, May 15. Then, from the 15th through Saturday May 21, it’s National Emergency Medical Services Week.
“It’s a privilege to honor the dedication of those who provide the day-to-day lifesaving services of medicine’s front line,” said ELIH president and CEO Paul Connor III.
• The Eastern Long Island Hospital Auxiliary, teaming with Mullen Motors, will conduct its annual car raffle at noon Wednesday, May 13. The winner may opt to receive a new Jeep Compass or e $10,000 in cash. The auxiliary limits ticket sales to 900; ticket holders need not be present to win. Tickets are $50 each. Call 477-5463
• The Southold Human Resources Department and ELIH will co-sponsor Live Your Life Well: Tools for Recognizing and Treating Depression, a discussion with Colleen Merlo, executive director of Mental Health Association in Suffolk County, on Friday, May 6, 11 a.m. to noon, at the town Human Resources Center in Mattituck. Call 298-4460.
• East End Brain Group will host a meeting and social Tuesday, May 10, at 6:30 p.m. at Piping Plover Cafe in Southold’s Feather Hill shopping center. Refreshments will be provided.
• Dr. Barbara Prestano of Peconic ENT will conduct free hearing tests at Mattituck-Laurel Library on Friday, May 6, 1-3 p.m. Call 298-4134.
• The Dental School at Stony Brook University is recruiting participants for a research study of Type 2 diabetics. If you are 35 or older, being treated for Type 2 diabetes, have at least 16 natural teeth and your gums are sore or bleed when you brush them, you are eligible to participate. The purpose of the six-month study is to determine whether standard periodontal therapy is effective in reducing A1C levels in Type 2 diabetics. Study participants will receive free dental exams and teeth cleaning as well as modest compensation for time and travel. Call 632-3964.
To send Health Beat news, e-mail [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Friday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.