Jim Christy, a former Georgetown University basketball player and Mattituck High School basketball, baseball, tennis and track and field coach, selected Mattituck’s top five athletes since 1969, when he arrived in Mattituck:
1. Donald Wilcenski. A three-sport athlete who scored 1,000 points for Mattituck. He then played basketball for Bentley College (Mass.).
2. Marisa Viola. A great high school softball and soccer player who had a terrific career in goal for Stony Brook University’s women’s soccer team.
3. Thomas Gwydir. Tom was a complete basketball player who went on to have a very successful career at Columbia University.
4. Lynette Wigington. A gifted six-year track and field athlete who as a freshman was the best long jumper and triple jumper in New York State.
5. Stan Pawlowski and Paul Brauner. Both had outstanding tennis careers, eventually playing professionally for a time.
Stay tuned for the Top 5 Southold High Athletes, coming up later in the series.