John Shipman Sherwood, a lifelong Greenport resident, died there Jan. 20 at San Simeon by the Sound Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. He was 91.
Born in Greenport Feb. 5, 1920, to Ida (Shipman) and John J. Sherwood, he graduated from Greenport High School in 1937 and from Drake Technical School in 1939.
Mr. Sherwood served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1944 to 1947, attaining the rank of corporal. He was a sharpshooter and earned seven service medals, including the Purple Heart. He married Edith Edwards in Greenport on Feb. 5, 1949.
He worked for five years as a draftsman in the New Departure Division of General Motors in Bristol, Conn., and was a civil engineer and draftsman for Van Tuyl & Son in Greenport for 29 years.
Active in village, town and county organizations for many years, Mr. Sherwood was named The Suffolk Times Public Servant of the Year in 2002. He was an assistant to the Southold Town Board of Assessors for 10 years and treasurer of the Vocational Education and Extension Board of Suffolk County for 20. He served the Village of Greenport as assessor from 1951 to 1959 and as Trustee from 1960 to 1965. He was also a longtime member of the Greenport Fire Department’s Star Hose Company and belonged to First Baptist Church of Greenport.
According to family members, he played the saxophone, enjoyed woodworking and crossword puzzles and was an avid reader and historian.
Mr. Sherwood is survived by his wife; his son, Jeff, of Malvern, Pa.; his daughters, Jenn, of Colchester, Conn., and Jeremy Neff of Homosassa Springs, Fla.; his sister, Martha Parrish; and four grandchildren.
Visiting hours will take place Saturday, Jan. 28, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. at First Baptist Church of Greenport, where a service will be held at 2 p.m., the Rev. Thomas LaMothe officiating. A reception will follow. Arrangements are being handled by Horton-Mathie Funeral Home in Greenport.
Donations may be made to Greenport Fire Dept. Star Hose Company, P.O. Box 345, Greenport NY 11944 or Marine Corps Heritage Foundation, 3800 Fettler Park Drive, Suite 104, Dumfries, VA 22025 (www.marineheritage.org).