A Verizon spokesman said the person probably thought the wire was copper and could be valuable. The company said the price of the repair could reach $100,000.
• An Orient man reported on March 17 that an 18-year-old Greenport man approached his 2010 Ford Focus on foot, punched and dented the rear driver’s side door and then pulled off the door handle. The man did not press charges, but asked the teen pay for the damages.
• The manager of a Mattituck store reported on March 18 that two men stole several boxes of the hair growth supplement Rogaine valued at $350.
• A Greenport woman said she lent her gray Chrysler Concorde to a man who said he was going to get a cup of coffee at about 8 a.m. on March 22. Four hours later she told police the man had not returned.
• The owner of a white Mitsubishi Fuso parked at Greenport High School told police Monday that someone smashed the side passenger window with a rock and damaged the windshield with a rock sometime over the weekend.
• A resident of Bayview Avenue in Greenport reported March 25 that between March 18 and 25 someone dug up and removed two juniper bushes she’d recently planted on her property. She requested extra police patrols.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.