Jamesport FD put fire out at Bayview Inn Tuesday night

COURTESY PHOTO | Jamesport Fire Department volunteers extinguish a fire at the Bayview Inn Tuesday night.

Jamesport firefighters quickly put out a small kitchen fire at an empty South Jamesport restaurant Tuesday night, preventing significant damage to the building, according to fire officials.

The fire department received an alert about an automatic fire alarm at the Bayview Inn at about 10:34 p.m., according to a statement from the department. Fire crews arrived on the scene and found smoke coming from the kitchen area of the closed building.

Firefighters entered the kitchen and put out the small fire. The fire was caused by rags and cleaning supplies that had “self-combusted,” fire officials said.

Chief Duffy Griffiths credited the firefighters’ quick response with preventing the fire from doing damage to the premises.

[email protected]