100 years ago
Hotel in ruins after fire
The Pipe’s Neck House, located on Pipe’s Neck, a short distance from Greenport Village, was destroyed by fire about 2 a.m. Sunday, we wrote in the May 18, 1912 issue of The Suffolk Times.
The loss is estimated at between $7,000 and $10,000, only a small part of which is covered by insurance, we wrote.
The hotel, which was owned by Mrs. A.C. Corwin, was built in 1823 and was one of Suffolk’s oldest landmarks, we wrote. The fire was likely caused by a defective flue, we wrote.
75 years ago
The bell will ring again
The school bell that rang children into the old school building on South Street in Greenport has been sold to the Holy Trinity Parish, we wrote in the May 13, 1937 issue of The Suffolk Times.
The bell was to be installed at the church upon the completion of renovations, we wrote.
Rev. J.H.S. Dixon of Holy Trinity purchased the bell after hearing there was considerable sentiment for it, we reported.
30 years ago
Budget office frowns on ferry hike
The Budget Review Office of the Suffolk County Legislature recommended denying North Ferry’s application for a rate increase, we reported in the May 13, 1982 issue of The Suffolk Times.
The ferry company was looking to raise its rates on one-way fares for automobiles from $3.25 to $3.50 and round-trip fares from $5 to $5.50.
Postscript: Round-trip fares on the ferry, which connects Greenport to Shelter Island, are now $15. One-way rides are $10.
10 years ago
Marienfeld steps down as Greenport football coach
Following his team’s first playoff appearance in 52 years, Greenport football coach Fred Marienfeld has announced he will not return to coach the team next year, we reported in the May 16, 2002 issue of The Suffolk Times.
Mr. Marienfeld said he was unhappy with his players’ level of commitment, we wrote.
He went 24-41 in eight seasons.