• A tractor caught fire while in operation on a Mattituck farm shortly after 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 14, police said. The Mattituck Fire Department responded and extinguished the blaze, police said.
• Detectives are investigating an online scam reported by a Greenport man Tuesday, Aug. 14. The man said he sent $1,800 through PayPal to someone who emailed him regarding a vehicle that person said he was selling online. The Greenport man used a PayPal link to send the money to the United Kingdom. When the seller followed up the payment by asking for more money, the Greenport man realized it was a scam, police said. The Federal Bureau of Investigation has also been notified.
• A Mattituck business reported that shortly after 3 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 17, two men apparently entered the property through an unlocked sliding gate and took items from several work vehicles, police said. The thieves, who face larceny and criminal trespassing charges, loaded the items into the trunk of a sedan and fled west on Sound Avenue, police said.
• A Cutchogue woman reported the theft of several items from her home Monday, Aug. 13, including a yellow area rug, a clock radio, several serving bowls, crystal platters, wine goblets and a statue of the Fire Island Lighthouse, with a total value of $980, police said.
• Police are looking for the person who stole an estimated $1,450 worth of tools and an orange iPod Nano from a Mattituck man’s vehicle during the early morning hours of Wednesday, Aug. 8, police said. The items went missing between 2 and 6:18 a.m.
• A Greenport man reported the theft of $200 worth of miscellaneous tools and equipment from the rear seat of his gray Chevrolet pickup truck on the evening of Thursday, Aug. 9.
• A Greenport woman reported the theft of her Verizon cellphone, valued at $50, from the center console of her 2008 BMW convertible Monday afternoon, Aug. 13. The car’s convertible top was down and the phone was easily accessible, police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.