Police are searching for whomever was behind a rash of thefts from an antiques show in Mattituck, after two canvas folding chairs, four multi-colored chrome glasses and a 40-year-old Japanese telescope were stolen between Aug. 10 and 11. The thieves also caused $150 in damage to a glass pane in a door, which was removed to gain entrance to the building, police said.
Cans of beer were found behind the building, suggesting people were hanging out there for hours, according to the report.
• Peter Doruzas of Astoria was arrested Sunday, Aug. 4, on Route 48 in Southold for trespassing and criminal mischief after his neighbor complained he was on her property and destroying the fence separating their residences, police said.
• Police are looking for the thief who took two kayaks, one yellow and one blue, and four oars from a backyard in Peconic between Aug. 2 and 3.
• Detectives are investigating the theft of an iPhone and miscellaneous phone wires that went missing from an unlocked vehicle in Cutchogue on the night of Aug. 8.
• Detectives are also investigating damage caused to a white riser sprinkler and a section of aluminum piping in Cutchogue, which occurred the night of Aug. 9.
• A Greenport woman reported the theft of a pair of black Zeiss binoculars, valued at $800, from her red Toyota pickup truck on the night of Aug. 8, police said.
• A brown tote bag containing a brown leather wallet, cash, a driver’s license and other miscellaneous items was also stolen Aug. 8 from an unlocked car in Greenport Village, police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.