Main Road was closed for nearly an hour between Alvahs and Elijahs lanes Sunday evening as the Cutchogue Fire Department and officials from National Grid investigated an odor of gas in the area.
Fire officials were going door-to-door with meters checking gas readings at individual homes and businesses along both Main Road and Alvahs Lane, but found no positive readings.
“It was a heavy odor of gas right in this area,” said Cutchogue fire chief Dave Fohrkolb. “We’re being methodical about it … The safety of the residents comes first.”
It could be a gas leak underground, he added, which wouldn’t pose an explosion hazard.
By 7 p.m., the road was open again and 30 minutes later fire officials left the scene.