Here’s a summary of what North Fork schools and the Southold Town Police Department have done since the Dec. 14 school shooting in Newtown, Conn.
1. Southold Town police officers are retaking active-shooter training.
2. All school floor plans can be accessed on patrol car computers.
3. The Greenport School District allocated $3,800 for additional security.
4. Oysterponds School hired a part-time security guard.
5. Visitors to Mattituck-Cutchogue schools must present a driver’s license.
6. New Suffolk School is installing an additional video camera.
7. The state mandated that districts post security plans online by Jan. 22.
8. Police and town officials are exploring a ‘rapid-response team.’
9. Schools are conducting evacuation and lockdown drills.
10. Police recommend that all schools install buzzer/camera security systems.