Update: Crossed electrical wires sparked fire

by |
09/19/2013 3:49 PM |
JENNIFER GUSTAVSON PHOTO | A fire was reported at Greenport School Thursday.

JENNIFER GUSTAVSON PHOTO | A fire was reported at Greenport School Thursday.

An electrical fire sparked on the roof of Greenport School as students were leaving for dismissal Thursday, school and fire officials said.

Greenport Superintendent Michael Comanda said Friday two crossed electrical wires in a new junction box caused a surge that started the small fire on the roof. He said it happened during the “testing” of the electrical system and no damage was done to the solar system since it had not been hooked up.

Some black soot was visible on the side of the building and there was minor damage to the roof and electrical wiring, officials said.

The Greenport Fire Department received the emergency call shortly before at 3 p.m. and the fire was extinguished within 35 minutes, officials said.

No mutual aid was needed and no injuries were reported.

Mr. Comanda said Thursday he was grateful for the quick work of the fire department.

“These guys are great,” he said.

[email protected]

Comments

comments