Greenport man hurt in fatal 2010 crash dies from injuries

Terrence Lawrence
Terrence Lawrence

A Greenport man who was seriously injured in an ATV accident three years ago has died, family members said.

Terrence Lawrence passed away on Aug. 31 at St. John’s Episcopal Hospital in Far Rockaway, said his sister, Keasha King. He was being treated at a Woodmere nursing facility for the traumatic brain injury he suffered in the crash

He was 33.

“He endured a lot, you know,” she said. “He had a lot of hurdles in his way.”

Mr. Lawrence had been riding dirt bikes with his nephew, Jefferson Treadwell, on a private road in East Marion in July 2010 when they collided, according to a 2010 police report.

Mr. Treadwell — who was Ms. King’s son — was killed in the crash and Mr. Lawrence suffered permanent brain damage.

“This accident that happened, it took my son first and three years later it took my brother,” Ms. King said.

The crash came just a few months after Mr. Lawrence dodged serious injury after he was involved in a car crash in Southold that killed another young Greenport man, according to a 2010 report of the incident. Mr. Lawrence had swerved to avoid a deer and collided with another car on the North Road, the report stated. The car left the roadway and struck a utility pole east of Boisseau Avenue, killing passenger Corey Freeman.

Following the serious ATV crash in July 2010, Mr. Lawrence was taken to Stony Brook University hospital for treatment, and was later transferred into Queens Nassau Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, family said.

Ms. King said she and her family would travel more than four hours round trip to visit Mr. Lawrence.

She thanked friends and neighbors who supported her family during their struggles, including those who attended a fundraiser in May that collected funds to have Ms. King’s home renovated for Mr. Lawrence to live in.

Ms. King said her brother — who she affectionately called “Terry” — was a fun-loving young man who loved family outings, sports, and music.

“Terry was the type of person who would give you his shirt off his back,” she said. “If you needed something, Terry would give it to you.”

Visitation for Mr. Lawrence will be held at the Horton-Mathie Funeral Home on First Street in Greenport on Friday from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m.

The family is asking that donations be sent to any organization or facility dealing with traumatic brain injuries.

[email protected]

(function(){ var s = document.createElement('script'), e = ! document.body ? document.querySelector('head') : document.body; s.src = ''; s.async = true; s.onload = function(){ acsbJS.init({ statementLink : '', footerHtml : 'Web Accessibility Solution by The Suffolk Times', hideMobile : false, hideTrigger : false, language : 'en', position : 'left', leadColor : '#146ff8', triggerColor : '#146ff8', triggerRadius : '50%', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerIcon : 'people', triggerSize : 'medium', triggerOffsetX : 20, triggerOffsetY : 20, mobile : { triggerSize : 'small', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerOffsetX : 10, triggerOffsetY : 10, triggerRadius : '50%' } }); }; e.appendChild(s);}());