Southold police officer puts out kitchen fire in Mattituck

04/17/2014 7:42 AM |

A Southold police officer was able to extinguish a kitchen fire after responding to an emergency call at a Mattituck house Wednesday morning, police said. 

Southold police and Mattituck Fire Department volunteers were called to the  Sigsbee Road home around 11:30 a.m. for reports that a gas stove caught fire, according to a police report.

The officer doused the flames with a handheld fire extinguisher before firefighters took over the scene, police said.

The fire department later found the cause of the fire was a faulty vent fan, police said.

No injuries or other damage was caused by the fire.

SoutholdPD HQ - Summer - 600