Electrical fire sparked at Braun Oyster & Seafood Company

04/26/2014 9:21 AM |

Nearly 50 firefighters responded to an apparent electrical fire at Braun Oyster & Seafood Company in Cutchogue early Saturday morning, Cutchogue Fire officials said. 

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, which was contained to the rear of the building and damages were limited to a small area containing a refrigerator and electrical equipment, fire officials said. The cause of the fire is not suspicious, officials said. The business is expected to be open later today.

Members of the Cutchogue Fire Department responded to an automatic fire alarm at about 12:20 a.m. and noticed the smell of smoke coming from the building. An employee from the restaurant helped firefighters gain entry into the building.

The Mattituck Fire Department assisted at the scene and provided a rapid intervention team to stand by in the event of any emergencies. Firefighters remained on scene until about 2 a.m., officials said.