This Week in North Fork History: Wine Country signs, hurricane and more

The first “Wine Country” signs were installed 25 years ago. (Credit: Suffolk Times archive)

25 years ago this week

First ‘Wine Country’ signs erected

It was 25 years ago this week that the North Fork was officially dubbed Long Island Wine country in signs welcoming visitors to the region.

The original Wine Country signs, donated by the Long Island Wine Council, were placed on Main Road in Aquebogue, Southold and Orient and along Sound Avenue in Riverhead, we reported in the Aug. 31 issue of The Suffolk Times.

40 years ago this week

Cafeteria prices on the rise

Mattituck school officials announced that the price of school lunch was being raised 10 percent to 55 cents to cover an increase in food production costs, we reported in the Aug. 29, 1974 issue of The Suffolk Times. A half-pint of Milk was increasing to seven cents, we reported.

The district said it was doing everything it could to keep lunch costs affordable.

60 years ago this week

Eastern Long Island again struck by hurricane

Hurricane Carol struck the North Fork on Aug. 31, 1954, causing more than $10,000 in damages to Greenport’s electrical system. Fifty trees were uprooted in the storm, we reported in that week’s issue of The Suffolk Times.

“Probably the most severe monetary loss was suffered by farmers whose crops took a tremendous beating,” we wrote.

Work begins on East Marion Fire House

Construction began 60 years ago this week on the East Marion firehouse.

“The colonial type building will house up to five pieces of apparatus with an auditorium and kitchen,” we wrote.

75 years ago this week

Greenporter’s model sub at World’s Fair

A model of the original Holland submarine that was designed by then-Southold Town Assessor Kenneth Monsell was receiving “great attention” at the Long Island Exhibition at the 1939 World’s Fair, according to an article in the Aug. 31, 1939 issue of The Suffolk Times.

The 53-foot submarine was the first under-sea boat to run submerged for any considerable distance by self-contained power.

Preliminary trials and the official final tests for the boat had been conducted in New Suffolk before its launch in 1898. It remained in the hamlet through a long period of neglect before it rusted “beyond redemption,” we reported.

‘The Wizard’ comes to Greenport

“The Wizard of Oz” opened at the Greenport theater on Aug. 31, 1939, running for three days. Of the film, The Suffolk Times wrote: “The film has kept the delightful flavor and exact story of the book, and added magnificence, beauty, life, humor and some of the year’s best music.”

90 years ago this week

Local woman wins $5

Miss Ruby Goldin won a $5 prize in a costume contest at Arcade Hall in Southampton this week, we reported in the Aug. 29, 1924 issue of The Suffolk Times. She wore a Wrigley chewing gum dress she designed herself.