Fourth shooting suspect held on $250K bail

10/17/2014 11:00 AM |
Police lead

Police lead shooting suspect Freddie Fernando Torres Campos into Southold Town Justice Court Friday morning for his arraignment. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Freddie Fernando Torres Campos, a 16-year-old accused of taking part in Tuesday morning’s shooting in Southold, has been ordered held on $250,000 cash bail after his arraignment in court Friday.

Mr. Campos — who was lead into court on crutches wearing a cast on his left foot where he was allegedly shot by another suspect while taking part in the attack — was arrested on Wednesday charged with two counts of felony assault.

The 16-year-old’s defense attorney, Eric Bessa, said the teen was an undocumented immigrant who worked as a landscaper and who had been living in the area for a year. He had asked for lower bail to be set, but Suffolk County prosecutor Timothy McNulty said the “serious allegations and the strength of the people’s case” warranted higher bail.

Mr. Bessa later declined to comment on the case. A woman who was in court and who spoke with Mr. Bessa after the arraignment told a Suffolk Times reporter that she wasn’t related to the case and declined further comment.

Justice Rudolph Bruer set bail at $250,000 cash or $750,000 bond and issued two stay-away orders to protect the two victims in the shooting. Mr. Campos is due back in court on Oct. 22.

The three other suspects in the shooting appeared in Southold Town court Friday morning and had their cases adjourned to next week. Attorneys said the cases will be presented before a grand jury for a possible indictment by Friday evening.