Football: Mercy’s Sciara feels at home in Greenport’s homecoming

Bishop McGann-Mercy junior Marco Sciara caught six of the seven passes thrown his way for 98 yards and a touchdown. (Credit: Garret Meade)
Bishop McGann-Mercy junior Marco Sciara caught six of the seven passes thrown his way for 98 yards and a touchdown. (Credit: Garret Meade)


Not only was it Greenport/Southold/Mattituck’s homecoming football game, but it was also a homecoming of sorts for Marco Sciara.

Sciara, who lives in East Marion, would most likely be wearing a Porters uniform if he didn’t attend Bishop McGann-Mercy Diocesan High School in Riverhead. He had been looking forward to this game. With family and friends watching at Greenport High School’s Dorrie Jackson Memorial Field on Friday night, Sciara said he wanted to put on a show.

He didn’t disappoint.

Sciara’s ability to break away from defensive backs and catch the football was the outstanding feature of McGann-Mercy’s 32-13 triumph over the Porters. Kevin Santacroce targeted Sciara seven times, and six of them went for completions covering 98 yards and one touchdown, Sciara’s fifth of the season.

McGann-Mercy’s passing game looked sharp as Santacroce went 12 of 17, finding five receivers for 188 yards and two touchdowns. Santacroce also ran for two touchdowns.

Although the Porters dominated possession in the first half, running 44 offensive plays to 10 by the Monarchs, they had only a pair of John Drinkwater field goals to show for it. Then, on one handoff, the game turned. Reggie Archer, McGann-Mercy’s standout running back, took his second carry of the night through the middle, bounced off an attempted tackle by Tyshe Williams and bolted 19 yards for a touchdown with 3 minutes 7 seconds left in the second quarter. Edward Kneski’s extra point made it 7-6.

Sciara, a junior listed at 6 foot 2, 150 pounds, gave the Porters fits. All but one of his catches went for 11 yards or longer, including a 22-yarder that Santacroce lofted his way for a score that helped the Monarchs (3-2 in Suffolk County Division IV) to a 20-6 lead late in the third quarter.

But the Porters (2-3) pulled to within striking distance when Matt Drinkwater found his twin brother, John Drinkwater, wide open on the left side for a 64-yard connection. John Drinkwater raced to the end zone, with McGann-Mercy’s Andrew Glasgow quickly closing in on him. Suddenly it was a 20-13 game with 9:22 remaining.

But the Monarchs essentially sealed the result on their next series when an over-the-shoulder grab by Nick Kneski made it 26-13 with 6:38 to go.

Sciara had quite a defensive game, too, making 10 tackles and defending three passes. Glasgow was involved in 13 tackles. He also had an interception, as did Samuel Schrage.

The Porters learned the day before that their feature back, Billy McAllister, would not be able to play because of a concussion. (McAllister ran for a career-high 191 yards last week in a win over Southampton/Ross). That meant more carries for Tristin Ireland, who responded with 97 rushing yards.

Dominick Panetta had his fourth interception of the season for the Porters.

[email protected]