• Pianist Steven Blier will be featured in ‘Latin Lovers,’ the opening concert of the New York Festival of Song’s 2015-16 series, at 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 23, at Poquatuck Hall in Orient. Mr. Blier will be joined by vocalists Anna Dugan, Amanda Bottoms, Alexander McKissick and Dimitri Katotakis in a program of Latin American music from the concert hall, theater and dance floor.
The concert is part of the festival’s Emerging Artist series. The program will include music by Astor Piazzolla, Carlos Guastavino, Ernesto Lecuona and others.
Tickets are $20 and must be reserved in advance. A reception with the artists follows the performance. Call series producer/director Jane Smith at 323-1378.
• Southold Historical Society’s second ‘North Fork Annual’ juried exhibit opens with a reception Friday, Aug. 21, from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at the Reichert Family Center’s Cosden-Price Gallery on Main Road. Twenty works by East End artists were chosen for the show by jurors Sean Cleary and Sara Evans.
The winner of the best-in-show designation, to be announced at the reception, will receive a $500 purchase prize, and that piece will become part of the society’s permanent collection. All other works will available for sale.
The show runs until Sept. 5 and can be viewed Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m.
• An opening reception for “Rain or Shine,” an exhibit of paintings by Max Moran, is set for Saturday, Aug. 22, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Jedediah Hawkins’ Barn Gallery in Jamesport. The show runs through Sept. 20. Gallery hours are Friday, 5 to 8 p.m., and weekends, 1 to 7 p.m.
This is Mr. Moran’s sixth annual solo exhibit in the barn gallery. In a press release he said, “Projects and possibilities litter my desk and floor, but seeing those Connecticut clouds drifting over the L.I. Sound or farmlands still gives me a rush. I want to capture that. There are still plenty of places that are quiet and hidden away that are a delight to paint and discover for the first time.”
• Floyd Memorial Library in Greenport will present a free concert by The Cottage Quartet Sunday, Aug. 23, at 3 p.m. Musicians Alena Chubet (flute), Anne-Marie Woelker (violin), Jeannie Woelker (cello) and James Chubet (piano) will perform pieces by Brahms, Chopin, Delibes, Ibert, Clara Schumann, Astor Piazzola and Lennon-McCartney.
• Painting, sculpture, mixed media and photography will be on view weekends Aug. 21-30 in ‘Convergence II,’ an exhibit at Ashawagh Hall in Springs, where a reception is set for 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 22. The show includes work by North Fork artists Hector de Cordova, who also curated, Alex Ferrone and Amy Worth.
• Recent works by Ty Stroudsburg of Southold are on view through Aug. 31 at The South Street Gallery in Greenport.
• A reception for painter Jerry Schwabe of East Hampton and photographer Steven Schreiber of Flanders will be held from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 23, at Jamesport Manor Inn’s Rosalie Dimon Gallery. Their work will be on display there through Oct. 28.
To send arts news, email [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times Review News Group, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952.