Update: Police question suspect in connection to Mattituck robbery

Update (6 a.m.): The victim of a robbery at the Mattituck baseball field told police two black males ran off with his cell phone and a silver necklace around 4 p.m. Wednesday afternoon, Southold Town Police said in a press release.

Southold Town Police patrol officers along with K-9 officers from the Riverhead Police Department searched the area of Rochelle Place where a suspect was located hiding in the reeds a short time later, the release stated.

That suspect was taken into custody and transported to Southold Town Police headquarters for further questioning. An active investigation is underway.

Southold Town Police did not name the suspect in the press release.

Police Chief Martin Flatley confirmed that the suspect was released and not currently charged with any crime.

“The investigation is still very active and has not been closed,” he said in an email.

*This post will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.

Original story: One suspect is in custody after Southold Town police swarmed the area around Bay Avenue in Mattituck late Wednesday afternoon after a report of an armed robbery.

Southold Town Police Chief Martin Flatley confirmed one man was in custody and said the investigation is still active. A press release would be issued with further details, he said.

Police appeared to be searching for a second suspect and at one point around 5:45 p.m., multiple police cars sped over to the Mattituck Plaza and officers were questioning two men in front of the movie theater. The men were allowed to go and police then left the area.

A K-9 unit, and additional officers from Riverhead Town police, were on scene in the area near Veterans Beach during the investigation.

*This post will be updated with additional information as it becomes available.

Photo caption: Police Chief Martin Flatley, right, and a K-9 unit on Bay Avenue Wednesday afternoon in Mattituck. (Credit: Tara Smith)

CORRECTION: A headline mistakenly said a suspect had been arrested. The person in custody was eventually released without being charged with a crime.

[email protected]

(function(){ var s = document.createElement('script'), e = ! document.body ? document.querySelector('head') : document.body; s.src = 'https://acsbapp.com/apps/app/dist/js/app.js'; s.async = true; s.onload = function(){ acsbJS.init({ statementLink : '', footerHtml : 'Web Accessibility Solution by The Suffolk Times', hideMobile : false, hideTrigger : false, language : 'en', position : 'left', leadColor : '#146ff8', triggerColor : '#146ff8', triggerRadius : '50%', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerIcon : 'people', triggerSize : 'medium', triggerOffsetX : 20, triggerOffsetY : 20, mobile : { triggerSize : 'small', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerOffsetX : 10, triggerOffsetY : 10, triggerRadius : '50%' } }); }; e.appendChild(s);}());