11/14/14 11:19am
11/14/2014 11:19 AM
Albino Dejesus Medina is led out of Southold Town Court Friday morning. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

Albino Dejesus Medina is led out of Southold Town Court Friday morning. (Credit: Carrie Miller)

The fifth suspect arrested following last month’s shooting — said by police to be gang-related — is being held on $250,000 cash bail, awaiting word of a grand jury incitement.

Albino Dejesus Medina, 20, of Bay Shore was charged with three counts of assault and one count of criminal possession of a weapon, police said.

He had been taken into custody Thursday with the assistance of U.S. Marshals, the NY/NJ Regional Fugitive Task Force and the Riverhead police. He was brought into Southold Town Court for arraignment Thursday morning. He requested a lawyer and the arraignment was pushed back to this morning.

During his arraignment Friday morning, Mr. Medina’s attorney said at the time of the incident, Medina had been living on Third Street in Greenport as he had been working on a landscaping project in the area.

Police allege that Mr. Medina is a member of the MS-13 gang, which according to police, carried out a shooting against rival members of Mara 18, a rival gang, in the middle of October. In the wake of the shooting, Southold Police arrested three people the day after the shooting, and a fourth two days after that.

The first four men arrested were: Pedro Emilio Santamaria, 31 of Greenport; Jeremias Nathanael Recinos Torres, 19, of Aquebogue;Freddie Fernando Torres Campos, 16, of Southold and Walter Vasquez, 17, of Greenport, who all allegedly took part in an attack that left two men shot. They’ve all been indicted and arraigned on violent felony charges of assault and gang assault.

One of those men was shot multiple and also slashed with a machete. One of the alleged assailants, Mr. Vasquez, was also shot by friendly fire, police have said.

Mr. Medina is being held on $250,000 cash or $500,000 bond, and is expected back in court Monday.

10/17/14 11:00am
10/17/2014 11:00 AM
Police lead

Police lead shooting suspect Freddie Fernando Torres Campos into Southold Town Justice Court Friday morning for his arraignment. (Credit: Paul Squire)

Freddie Fernando Torres Campos, a 16-year-old accused of taking part in Tuesday morning’s shooting in Southold, has been ordered held on $250,000 cash bail after his arraignment in court Friday.

Mr. Campos — who was lead into court on crutches wearing a cast on his left foot where he was allegedly shot by another suspect while taking part in the attack — was arrested on Wednesday charged with two counts of felony assault.

The 16-year-old’s defense attorney, Eric Bessa, said the teen was an undocumented immigrant who worked as a landscaper and who had been living in the area for a year. He had asked for lower bail to be set, but Suffolk County prosecutor Timothy McNulty said the “serious allegations and the strength of the people’s case” warranted higher bail.

Mr. Bessa later declined to comment on the case. A woman who was in court and who spoke with Mr. Bessa after the arraignment told a Suffolk Times reporter that she wasn’t related to the case and declined further comment.

Justice Rudolph Bruer set bail at $250,000 cash or $750,000 bond and issued two stay-away orders to protect the two victims in the shooting. Mr. Campos is due back in court on Oct. 22.

The three other suspects in the shooting appeared in Southold Town court Friday morning and had their cases adjourned to next week. Attorneys said the cases will be presented before a grand jury for a possible indictment by Friday evening.