The Southold Historical Society is celebrating a piece of Civil War history that was recently restored.
A historic banner discovered in 2014 in the attic of a local store once operated by the Richmond family has now been installed at the Ann Currie-Bell House on the grounds of the society’s Main Road museum complex.
Built in 1900 for Joseph and Ella Boldry Hallock, the Ann Currie-Bell House is Southold Historical Society’s centerpiece. At left is the museum complex’s Pine Neck Barn, a 1700s English-style structure built with hand-hewn beams. (Credit: Rachel Young)
Founded in 1960, the Southold Historical Society owns more than a dozen buildings dating from 1750 to the turn of the 20th century, most of which sit at the intersection of Main Road and Maple Lane. The organization has its headquarters in the 19th-century Henry W. Prince building in downtown Southold and also operates a nautical museum at Horton Point Lighthouse. (more…)
During the course of alterations that have taken place at Southold Historical Society’s Ann Currie-Bell House, a large stained-glass window was removed from the house’s front parlor. The society is putting out a call for help in replicating the window, which was designed by the same artist who painted that room’s ceilings.
The cost of the window reproduction will be $5,000, and as of presstime $1,000 has been donated. The society’s aim is to have the window installed by spring. To support the project, go to southoldhistoricalsociety.org/DonateOnline.htm; call 765-5500; or send checks, with “ACB window” in the memo line, to the historical society at P.O. Box 1, Southold, NY 11971.