Looking for something local to do this weekend? The Suffolk Times weekend guide has got you covered. Check out our listing of this weekend’s happenings. Or, you could visit our weekly calendar under the community tab on our homepage.
• Tonight, Friday, is the annual chili cook-off to benefit North Fork Environmental Council at Martha Clara Vineyards in Riverhead. Admission is $40 in advance and $45 at the door and includes a glass of wine, chili, cornbread, salad, dessert, raffle, music by Tom Damiani, The Singin’ DJ. The event starts at 7 p.m. Call 298-8880 or visit nfec1.org.
• If you ever wanted to dance like the King of Pop, then check out the “Thriller” workshop from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at George G. Young Community Center in Jamesport tonight. The A&G Dance Company will teach teens and adults how to reenact the famous music video. Participants will watch a 20-minute performance of live singing and dancing, then learn Thriller dance. Register now; space is limited. 727-5744.
• The 14th Annual 5K Run for the Ridley will be held in the streets of downtown Riverhead Saturday. The race is sponsored by Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation and benefits the Kemp’s ridley sea turtles and all marine mammals and sea turtles. The 5k starts on Main Street in Riverhead at 10 a.m.. Registration is from 8-9:30 a.m. at the easternmost end of the Peconic River parking lot. The fee is $25 the day of the event. The first 300 registrants will get a free T-shirt. Call 369-9840 for more info.
• Hallockville Museum Farm will host a bird walk with Jody Levin at 9 a.m. Saturday. Participants can search for migratory fall birds around Hallockville on Sound Ave. in Riverhead. Registration is required: Call 298-5292 or email [email protected] The fee is $6, or $5 for members. Bring binoculars, appropriate apparel and sturdy footwear. Heavy rain will cancel this event.
• To help out a fellow North Forker, visit the car wash at Fitness Advantage in Southold Sunday. The car wash will benefit the West family of Cutchogue, whose 2-year-old daughter, Morgan, was recently diagnosed with an inoperable brainstem tumor. The fee is $10 per car. Call 765-8142 for more information.