Featured Story

Police blotter: Mattituck motorcyclist charged with DWI

A Mattituck motorcyclist who was riding without wearing a helmet was arrested Friday night and charged with misdemeanor driving while intoxicated, Southold Town police said.

Sean O’Donnell was stopped near the intersection of Pike Street and Wickham Avenue about 11:30 p.m. after a cop saw him fail to signal a turn and ride through a stop sign, according to a police report.

After he was pulled over, according to a police press release, Mr. O’Donnell had “a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, slurred speech, blood-shot glassy eyes and was unsteady on his feet.” He failed sobriety tests at the scene and was arrested.

In addition to the DWI charge, he also faces traffic infractions. An update on his court appearance was not immediately available.

• A Cutchogue man was arrested Monday night after police received a call from anonymous driver stating that he was “all over the roadway.”

According to Southold police, 37-year-old Noah Schwartz was arrested on Route 48 in Peconic shortly after 7 p.m. after he was found to be intoxicated. He was charged with misdemeanor DWI and cited for unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation.

• A Mattituck man was arrested Saturday night for DWI after being stopped at a checkpoint, according to a police report.

Leonardo Payes was stopped on Route 25 in Laurel around 10:15 p.m. as part of a DWI checkpoint, the release stated. Officers found him to be intoxicated and placed him under arrest.

He was transported to headquarters, processed and held overnight, awaiting arraignment, police said.

• Police arrested a Greenport man for DWI Saturday night, according to a police report.

Fausto de Jesus Bran-Gomez was observed “failing to maintain his lane of travel” on Route 25 in Southold, the report stated. He was found to be intoxicated and placed under arrest.

• A Greenport man was arrested early Friday morning after refusing to cooperate with police while intoxicated, police said.

An officer observed Robert Vanbrunt walking down Third Street with an open can of Corona Extra beer, according to a police report. The officer determined that Mr. Vanbrunt was intoxicated, and attempted to issue him a Greenport Village code summons.

However, the report stated, Mr. Vanbrunt allegedly refused several times to give his name, so the officer arrested him for the village code violation and for obstruction of government administration.

• Someone stole a $900 sailboat mast from an East Marion property last week, according to a police report filed Saturday morning.

A Bay Avenue resident called police around 8:15 a.m. to report the 20-year-old 16-foot aluminum mast missing, police said. He told officers he asked a junk dealer from Riverhead to remove some items from his property, so he believes that man may have taken the mast.

The resident told police he contacted the junk dealer, who denied any involvement.

An investigation is ongoing.

• A Greenport man discovered that his tablet had been stolen after noticing data usage charges Friday evening, according to a police report.

The Maple Street resident called police around 5 p.m. to report the data usage, and when he went into the garage to check, he saw that the $300 tablet had been stolen.

• A Southold man reported that his car was broken into last Wednesday afternoon, police said.

The victim called police from in front of Noah’s restaurant in Greenport to report that an unknown person broke into his vehicle and stole his speakers, amplifier and GPS, according to the police report.

Police did not clarify how much the electronics were worth.

• A Mattituck woman reported her husband “overdue” from a kayak trip Sunday. He was eventually located by Southampton Town bay constables, according to a police report.

The woman told police around 1:30 p.m. that her husband was missing since 11:30 a.m. on a yellow ocean kayak, the report stated. Southold Police checked the waters from Robins Island to Mattituck but could not find the man.

He was then located outside the Shinnecock Canal by Southampton Town Bay Constables and transported back to land by a private boat, police said.