• ELIH physician assistant Christopher Edelstein recently earned a Certificate of Added Qualifications in hospital medicine from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. He acquired this specialty credential by meeting licensure, education and experience criteria and passing a related exam. Mr. Edelstein earned a similar credential in emergency medicine in 2011, making him one of only eight PAs nationwide to hold two CAQs from the organization.
• San Simeon by the Sound in Greenport has chosen Nancy Brooks of its administration team as employee of the month for February. She joined the team a little over a year ago as a receptionist, at the encouragement of Maria Frumenti. Ms. Brooks, whose husband, Brian, also works at San Simeon, said in a release that Ms. Frumenti worked with her on training and “helped me in so many ways.”
In the release, Ms. Brooks paraphrased a quote she considers “very important” by saying, “When you need to express yourself to someone always choose kindness first … You can never go wrong if you do that.”
• A support group for caregivers who look after the elderly or chronically ill will meet Tuesday, Feb. 17, from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. at the Southold Town Senior Center on Pacific Street in Mattituck. Call 298-4460 for information.
• Eastern Long Island Hospital in Greenport will host a winter blood drive in the hospital conference room Thursday, Feb. 19, from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. All donors will receive a gift certificate to the hospital’s Corner Gift Shop or Green House Grill Cafe. Walk-ins are welcome but appointments can be scheduled by calling 477-5100.
• A special nine-foot steel beam was installed this week to “top off” the structure of East End Hospice’s new Kanas Center for Hospice Care in Quiogue. The white-painted beam will bear the signatures of EEH officials and staff who have been working for over a decade to establish the facility. According to a release, the center — with eight inpatient beds and numerous amenities — will provide 24-hour acute care as well as social, emotional and spiritual support for patients and their families and will be the only facility of its kind on the East End. Completion is expected by the fall of 2015.
To send Health Beat news, email [email protected], fax to 298-3287, or mail to Times/Review Newspapers, P.O. Box 1500, Mattituck, NY 11952. Copy deadline: Friday at 5 p.m. to appear the following week.