Featured Story

Update: Two injuries reported after small Mattituck house fire

03/25/2016 1:12 PM |

Fire_0325

A dryer caught fire on the second floor of a Mattituck home Friday afternoon, injuring two people, according to Southold Town police. 

One man was inside the home, which was located on a dirt road south of Westphalia Avenue, and he was being treated for minor burns to the head, said Det. Ken Richards. Police said a neighbor suffered smoke inhalation while trying to help extinguish the fire with a garden hose, police said. Both men were taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center.

The home sustained minor interior damage, police said.

The Mattituck, Cutchogue and Jamesport Fire Departments all responded to the fire, which was quickly contained. The first started shortly after noon.

Firefighters could be seen popping a screen on the second floor and smoke came billowing outside.

Photo Caption: Fire crews from Mattituck and Cutchogue responded to the scene Friday afternoon. (Credit: Nicole Smith)

Comments

comments