Girls Soccer: Tuckers hold Center Moriches to 0-0 draw

GARRET MEADE PHOTO | Mattituck goalkeeper Stephanie Reisenberg tried to take the ball off the foot of Center Moriches' Samantha Fitzgerald while Mattituck's Shannon Gatz offered support.

The Mattituck Tuckers didn’t win, but they might have felt like winners on Tuesday, snapping a seven-game losing streak against their rivals, the Center Moriches Red Devils.

Despite being outshot by 17-6 and absorbing tremendous pressure from the Center Moriches attack for much of 80 minutes of regulation time and 20 minutes of overtime, Mattituck held on for a goalless draw in the Suffolk County League VII girls soccer game.

For much of the match at Center Moriches High School, the Tuckers (4-2-1, 2-2-1) were contained in their half of the field by the speedy Red Devils (4-0-3, 3-0-3). The territorial advantage enjoyed by the Red Devils was seen in the corner kick count: 14-2 in Center Moriches’ favor.

Center Moriches, which was a league champion and state semifinalist the past two years, threw just about everything it had at the Tuckers, the team it defeated in last year’s Suffolk Class B final. The two best scoring chances for Center Moriches came in the first overtime period. After a ball fell to Claire Brady’s feet, she pushed it toward the open goal, only to see Mattituck defender Natalie Troisi clear it away at the last moment. Seconds later, the Red Devils had another great opportunity. Brady touched the ball to Samantha Fitzgerald, who fired wide left on what looked like a sure goal.

In the second half, Pam Schenck of Center Moriches managed to put the ball in the net, but it was disallowed because of an offside call.

Mattituck lost its starting goalkeeper, Stephanie Reisenberg, after she left the game with 18 minutes 3 seconds left in the second half. She was kicked in the face after doing well to slap aside a threatening cross and then falling on the ball.

Melissa Siegfried replaced her and did well, making three saves, one of which was a stop on Fitzgerald late in the second half.