Update: The U.S. Coast Guard suspended its active search for Daniel Strelczuk, 62, of Thompson, Conn. at 2:30 p.m. Sunday due to saturation of the search area and searching beyond the calculated survival time given the current conditions, a spokesperson said.
The Southold Police Department’s marine unit is assisting in the search for a boater missing since Saturday afternoon in the waters near Fishers Island Sound, a U.S. Coast Guard spokesperson said.
Daniel Strelczuk, 62, of Thompson, Conn. has been missing since he set sail for Fishers Island on his 30-foot fiberglass sailboat shortly after 1 p.m. Saturday, his family told NBC News in Connecticut. He was following the Charles W. Morgan after the ship’s departure from Groton, Conn.
While his boat was recovered and brought to shore Saturday night his family believes he may have jumped overboard, according to reports.
Coast Guard watchstanders first received notification of the incident from a good samaritan who came across the adrift sailing vessel three miles off the shore of Fishers Island Saturday night.
Mr. Strelczuk’s son, Adam, then notified the Coast Guard that his father was missing after setting sail from Noank, Conn. Saturday afternoon.
Agencies involved in the search include:
• An MH-60 helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod
• An HC-144A Ocean Sentry aircraft search crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod
• A rescue crew aboard the Coast Guard Cutter Chinook, an 87-foot patrol boat home ported in New London, Conn.
• A 25-foot rescue boatcrew from Coast Guard Station New London
• A 45-foot rescue boatcrew from Coast Guard Station New London
• A 47-foot rescue boatcrew from Coast Guard Station Montauk
• Fishers Island Fire Department
• Fishers Island Constable
• Mystic Fire Department
• Groton Fire Department
• Southold Police Department Marine
Anyone with information regarding Mr. Strelczuk’s location is asked to contact Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound command center immediately at 203-468-4401.