A Laurel man was treated for minor injuries Monday evening after he lost control of his car in Mattituck and the vehicle wound up on top of a headstone in Old Bethany Cemetery after careering across Route 25 and hitting a truck on the way.
Warren Wheeler, 83, was turning left onto Route 25 from New Suffolk Ave. in a 2006 Toyota sedan at about 6:45 p.m. when the car left the road, plowed through some nearby woods, then turned onto Route 25 and hit a 1998 Dodge pickup truck driven by Andrew LePre, 20, of Cutchogue.
Mr. Wheeler’s car continued on through the entrance of the cemetery, demolishing an entrance pillar, before coming to rest on top of a headstone, according to Southold Town Police.
Police said Mr. Wheeler told them he might have confused the brake and gas pedals in his car. He was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center by Mattituck Fire Department Rescue personnel and treated for minor injuries.
* A motorcyclist from Laurel was hospitalized after an accident in the CVS parking lot on Sigsbee Road in Mattituck Tuesday evening. Thomas Noormae, 44, was taken to Peconic Bay Medical Center by Mattituck Fire Department Rescue personnel after he was hit by driver Christopher Demopoulos, 27, of Mattituck, who was entering the parking lot in his Jeep. Mr. Demopoulos said he did not see the motorcycle because his view was blocked by a vehicle that was exiting the parking lot, according to police reports. No charges were filed.
* A young Cutchogue woman was charged with DWI in East Quogue on the afternoon of Sept. 15, after Southampton Town Police said she had fled the scene of an accident. Rebecca Anne Abatelli, 19, was involved in the accident at the intersection of Montauk Highway and Jones Road just after 2:30 p.m., according to police. She was stopped a short distance from the scene, where police said they determined she was intoxicated. She was taken to Southampton Town Police headquarters in Hampton Bays and held for a morning arraignment.
* Gregory Kirkham, 49, of Greenport was arrested by Southold Town Police on a felony DWI charge just after 3 a.m. Friday, after he had been stopped by Southold Town Police for a traffic violation on Bennett’s Lane in Southold. Mr. Kirkham, who police said had a prior DWI conviction, was also charged with aggravated unlicensed operation. Police said they seized Mr. Kirkham’s car due to the prior conviction. He was held overnight for arraignment.
* Kenneth Kreitsek, 36, of New Suffolk was charged with DWI Sunday night, after Southold Town Police said they had stopped him on Route 25 in Peconic for driving with only one working headlight . Police said that Mr. Kreitsek failed several field sobriety tests and was taken to headquarters, where he was held overnight for a morning arraignment.
* An art gallery owner in Greenport reported on September 16 that someone had defaced her store’s sign by writing an “F” in black permanent marker at the beginning of the word “art,” making the sign read “Fine Fart Gallery.” The store owner requested extra patrols in the area.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.