Featured Story

Update: 400 customers without power following storms’ heavy winds

Updated (Tuesday 10:30 a.m.): About 400 remain without power as of 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, according to PSEG Long Island.

The majority of outages are centered in Southold with 166 and Orient with 125.

The estimated restoration time for all the outages is Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Updated (Monday 5:30 p.m.): The storm that brought heavy wind across the Northeast resulted in multiple power outages across the North Fork, resulting in more than 1,500 customers without power as of 5:30 p.m. Monday, according to PSEG Long Island.

The majority of outages are centered in Southold with 583 and Orient with 491. As many as 2,000 customers in Southold Town were without power earlier in the day.

A total of just under 18,000 customers on Long Island were without power as of 5:30 p.m., according to PSEG. There were 151 customers without power in Mattituck and additional outages were reported in Peconic, Laurel, East Marion and New Suffolk. The estimated restoration times for all the outages were listed as throughout Tuesday, from 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Numerous downed poles and wires on Sound Avenue forced Riverhead Town police to close the road between Manor Lane and Herricks Lane. PSEG is expected to respond at some point today with a full crew to fix the problem, police said.

Westbound traffic was backed up from the Manor Lane to Laurel Lane on Main Road shortly after 9 a.m.

Highway crews in Southold Town were clearing debris off Main Road. Traffic was diverted down Wickham Avenue in Mattituck where a large tree was uprooted and fell in front of Kardwell International. Main Road was also closed in Cutchogue with traffic diverted onto Depot Lane.

Southold Town Highway Department Superintendent Vincent Orlando said crews have been responding to tree issues since 10 p.m. Sunday. As of noon Monday, crews have responded to about 30 trees. He said there were no flooding issues.

A tree uprooted on Main Road in Mattituck Monday morning. (Credit: Kelly Zegers)

A wind advisory ended at 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. A coastal flood advisory ended at 9 a.m. A high wind warning had been in effect overnight, but was since canceled. Winds of 15 to 25 mph were expected in the morning with gusts up to 50 mph, the NWS said.

Riverhead police also reported that at 4:20 a.m., a small fire was discovered in the basement of Little Lucharitos in Aquebogue, which just opened Friday. Police responded to an automatic alarm to find the southeast corner of the basement on fire. The Riverhead Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire, police said.

Owner Marc LaMaina was notified and responded to the scene. The fire does not appear to be suspicious, police said, and the extend of the damage has not been determined.

Mr. LaMaina said on Facebook the restaurant will be closed today, but “all is good.” He wrote that the fire marshal told him that because of the storm a “possible down draft with wind caused the flame on the heater to jump into some combustibles near [the] heater.”

Also, the Oysterponds Elementary School reported a two-hour delayed start Monday.

Photo caption:Highway crews block off eastbound Main Road in Cutchogue and divert traffic onto Depot Lane Monday morning. (Credit: Kelly Zegers)

[email protected]

A pole leans over Sound Avenue Monday morning. (Credit: Nicole Smith)
A tree blocking Calves Neck Road in Southold. (Credit: Kelly Zegers)