Police say Southold weathered the storm well

Because most people heeded the call to stay home, Southold Police reported no major incidents resulting from Irene’s visit to the North Fork, said Chief Martin Flatley.

Dispatchers were busy fielding calls about downed trees and lost power and there were a few minor fires resulting from hot wires. One occurred on Oregon Road in Cutchogue, where a grove of trees near Mill Lane caught fire Sunday, the chief said. The blaze was quickly contained.

In Southold downed wires were removed from a house roof before they could spark a blaze,result in any fire

With what was Hurricane Irene expected to hit the area Saturday, the police beefed up the 4 p.m. to midnight crew,  then rescheduled officers as the storm’s arrival was delayed. All shifts were fully staffed with extra officers. Dispatchers worked 12-hour shifts and there wasn’t a moment when they didn’t have a phone to their ears, the chief said.

At Eastern Long Island Hospital, Stirling Harbor spilled over into the parking lot Sunday, but not enough to cause any problems, said hospital president and CEO Paul Connor III. A Greenport Fire Department pumper was available had there been flooding, he said.

“We’re glad to be part of the Greenport grid,” Mr. Connor said of the village’s own power company. The hospital had to switch on it’s backup generator for only four or five hours.

“Everything went well — better than expected,” he added.

Many traffic lights on Routes 48 and 25 remained out of service Monday and police advised drivers to be cautious.

Three people with special needs found shelter at Southold Town’s Human Resource Center in Mattituck, where the chief said there were more staff members on hand to help than there were people in need of assistance.

Greenport School provided shelter for 12 to 15 people and a few residents sought shelter at Mattituck, Cutchogue East and Southold schools.

Power remains out on most of the North Fork except for Greenport Village. Police headquarters in Peconic is operating on a gas generator, the chief said.

(function(){ var s = document.createElement('script'), e = ! document.body ? document.querySelector('head') : document.body; s.src = ''; s.async = true; s.onload = function(){ acsbJS.init({ statementLink : '', footerHtml : 'Web Accessibility Solution by The Suffolk Times', hideMobile : false, hideTrigger : false, language : 'en', position : 'left', leadColor : '#146ff8', triggerColor : '#146ff8', triggerRadius : '50%', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerIcon : 'people', triggerSize : 'medium', triggerOffsetX : 20, triggerOffsetY : 20, mobile : { triggerSize : 'small', triggerPositionX : 'right', triggerPositionY : 'center', triggerOffsetX : 10, triggerOffsetY : 10, triggerRadius : '50%' } }); }; e.appendChild(s);}());