Blotter: Greenport man arrested after threatening to stab restaurant owner with pen

Southold police say they used an electric stun gun and pepper spray July 21 to subdue a Greenport man who tried to grab a patrolman’s handgun during a struggle with officers who were attempting to arrest him for placing a restaurant owner in a headlock and threatening to stab him with a pen.

Police said Donald Beckley, 57, of Main Street was causing a disturbance at a Greenport eatery at around 3:45 p.m. When the proprietor tried to get him to leave, Mr. Beckley reportedly put the man in a headlock, punched him and threatened to stab him with a pen. Police reported finding Mr. Beckley a short distance away and said he violently resisted arrest.

During a struggle, Mr. Beckley succeeded in undoing the snap on an officer’s holster and attempted to pull out the weapon, police said. After police subdued him with a stun gun and sprayed his face with pepper spray, he was handcuffed and taken to Eastern Long Island Hospital to have his eyes flushed. Mr. Beckley was then held overnight, awaiting arraignment on charges of menacing, resisting arrest, attempted grand larceny and harassment, police said.

• Two men were taken to Eastern Long Island Hospital on July 20 after an accident at the intersection of Cox Lane and Route 48 in Cutchogue. Police said Harold Schwerdt, 91, turned left onto Cox Lane against a red traffic light, striking a car driven by Bonifacio Garcia, 23, who was traveling straight on Route 48. Both men were taken to the hospital by the Cutchogue Fire Department Rescue Squad.

• Southold Police responded to an anonymous call just after midnight on July 23 reporting that two signal flares were seen to the west of Robin’s Island. When police responded to the New Suffolk Boat ramp, they found that David Lessard, 48, of Jamesport was using his boat to tow a disabled boat driven by John Schneider, 44, of Riverhead into the boat ramp. Police took Mr. Schneider to retrieve his car and boat trailer in Jamesport.

Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.