Five Mitt Romney campaign signs were stolen from the lawns of two separate Route 25 residences sometime during the evening of July 30, police said.
A Laurel woman reported two signs were stolen from her lawn between 8 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. and a Mattituck woman said she witnessed a suspect, described as a white female between the ages of 30 and 40 with waist-length blonde hair and weighing approximately 130 pounds, take three signs between 6:30 and 7 p.m. that evening.
• Detectives are investigating the burglary of a Peconic residence between July 22 and Aug. 3 where a single-pane window was damaged and $50 worth of fireworks, as well as a Heineken beer bottle, were stolen, police said. The thief faces larceny and criminal mischief charges.
• A Mattituck man reported that between 1 and 2 a.m. on Aug. 4 he heard a noise at his front door and saw someone peer into his bedroom window with a flashlight. In the morning, the man reported he found his front screen door had been damaged and requested extra patrols and midnight tours of the area.
• A Mattituck man reported that someone stole a bear statue that had been carved with a chain saw from his front lawn sometime during the night of Aug. 2. Police said the statue is distinctive in that its right hand is missing, it has two drill holes in the base and another in the center of its head.
• A Southold man reported July 30 that someone stole three fishing poles and three Penn reels from his boat docked in Greenport, police said.
• A Southold woman reported 5:30 a.m. July 31 that someone stole two children’s bicycles, one pink and the other purple, from the area between Ships Drive and North Bayview Road in Southold, police said.
Those who are named in police reports have not been convicted of any crime or violation. The charges against them may later be reduced or withdrawn, or they may be found innocent.