Officers hospitalized after Sunday morning fire in Greenport

Several Southold Town police officers were hospitalized for smoke inhalation after rescuing a man from his Greenport home after a fallen lamp ignited a mattress early Sunday morning, police said.

The man, unable to leave the second-floor bedroom on Wiggins Street, was carried by officers as the Greenport Fire Department extinguished the smoldering mattress. He was taken to Eastern Long Island Hospital as the Southold Fire Department Rescue and East Marion Fire Department Rescue treated the officers for smoke inhalation. Several officers were then transported to ELIH as well, police said.