Who said a race car driver can’t win a race in the first few laps? Certainly not Ryan Preece.
The driver from Berlin, Conn., scored a 35-lap NASCAR Modified victory at Riverhead Raceway on Saturday night after spending the first five laps of the race fighting side by side for the lead with Timmy Solomito and Tom Rogers Jr. before edging out in front.
Preece, making only his second start of the season, not only claimed the victory but also the lead for the track championship lead by one point over Tom Rogers Jr., 105-104. (more…)
A woman was hit by a car on County Road 48 near Middleton Road on May 25. (Credit: Google maps)
A 55-year-old woman suffered a head injury after being struck by a car in Greenport on Memorial Day, Southold Town police said. (more…)
Listings prepared for Times/Review Newspapers by Suffolk Research Service, dated March 22-28, 2015. (more…)
The Hamptons Collegiate Baseball League will work with Go4theGoal Foundation to help strike out pediatric cancer this summer. Its inaugural Lace Up 4 Pediatric Cancer event will take place June 26-28 on fields around the East End, all in an effort to raise funds and awareness for the New Jersey-based not-for-profit organization. (more…)
Peter Castillo cut the ribbon Thursday to unveil the new amphitheater. (Credit: Jen Nuzzo)
Here are 10 Suffolk Times stories you might have missed over the past week. To make sure you stay on top of breaking North Fork news, follow @thesuffolktimes on Twitter.
McGann-Mercy graduate Saśa Vann will compete in the NCAA Division III Championships this weekend. (Credit: Buffalo State Athletics)
Buffalo State junior Saśa Vann received the SUNY Chancellor’s Scholar-Athlete Award for women’s track and field for the second consecutive season. (more…)
Looking for work? Check out the Times/Review classified section.
Looking for work, or know someone who is?
Times/Review classifieds offers local companies a place to advertise their job openings each week, and this week close to 80 positions are available from a painter to a line cook to an office assistant.
And for anyone interested in submitting a classified ad, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the listings below: (more…)
Alexander Belich and Bridget Wallace.
Bridget Quinn Wallace, formerly of Cuthchogue, and Alexander Belich, formerly of Hawthorne, N.J., have announced their engagement. Bridget is the daughter of Eileen Quinn and the sister of John Quinn Wallace. Alexander is the son of Mirosinka Stojanovic. (more…)
A man salutes the flag at a Southold Town Memorial Day parade. (Katharine Schroeder file)
In keeping with tradition, Memorial Day will be observed Monday with a series of parades and ceremonies across the North Fork and Riverhead Town.
The following is Monday’s schedule of events:
• Riverhead’s annual combined veterans parade begins at 10 a.m. at the World War II memorial at the corner of Pulaski Street and Osborn Avenue. It will proceed down Main Street and return to the memorial at about 11 for a ceremony.
• The official Southold Town Memorial Day parade, held this year in Southold village, will start at 10 a.m., proceeding from Boisseau Avenue and Main Road to Griswold-Terry-Glover American Legion Post 803 at Tuckers Lane, where a ceremony will be held.
• Orient Fire Department’s parade will start at 7:30 a.m. at the Main Road firehouse. The route will run along Tabor Road to Orchard Street, then Navy Street, Village Lane, Main Road and back to the firehouse.
• Mattituck Fire Department will hold a ceremony at the war memorial at Pike Street and Wickham Avenue at 8 a.m. That event will be followed by a parade through the Love Lane business area, ending at the Pike Street firehouse.
• A dockside service is scheduled for 8 a.m. at the Greenport railroad dock. The procession will line up in the Adams Street parking lot behind the Arcade at 7:45 a.m., then move to the dock for the service. Refreshments will follow at the Third Street firehouse.
• The annual observance at Calverton National Cemetery will be held at 1 p.m. in the cemetery’s assembly area.
A Mattituck man was arrested and charged with drunk driving last night while driving on New Suffolk Avenue. (more…)